Welcome creative seekers to my latest online class and a huge kudos to you for taking the leap to invest in your creative potential and take your art making to another level!
I invite you to join me on this abstract adventure across 6 different units, available separately for $65usd each or as a bundle for $297usd (save $28usd PLUS get the bonus unit 6!!)
What are you waiting for?
During our time together in Abstract Mojo we’ll be exploring how to:
- Work across multiple mini canvases to generate cohesive series and color palettes.
- Use my “embracing the contrast” approach to help us avoid those frustrating STUCK PLACES!
- Translate emotion through color and mark into our work.
- Take our own photos OR images we have found and abstract them using a whole variety of apps and other exercises.
- Be inspired by nature to create stunning evocative abstracts.
- Create more narrative in our work through the exploration of figurative abstraction and the use of symbols.
- Go BIG in our last unit together with LARGE sheets of paper and canvas.
About 5 years into my painting journey, I remember thinking “I don’t have any imagination”, I can’t just think up ideas out of nowhere” and OMG, the incessant comparing myself to others who seemed to have some kind of gift I just couldn’t find in myself.
I decided to experiment with paint (truth be told I found acrylic super challenging) and just keep working at it, and in 2004 had had a successful exhibition, selling several thousands of dollars of art out of my own home~ a series of cutesy birds dancing through flowers. People loved them but I KNEW there was something more inside me, something I wanted to articulate with my painting but I didn’t have the tools.
I looked around at the art world and found myself drawn to paintings that had a certain edge, rawness and a fresh energy, paintings that were both mysterious and compelling, paintings that told a story without telling the whole story.
I still had a lot to learn but desperately wanted to be there NOW, to be making art that made me FEEL what these paintings did, but I wasn’t ready.
On THAT day I remember dragging a big ol’ canvas out into the backyard and letting loose on it with lime green paint and a massive brush, then criss crossing the lime with hot pink spray paint. It felt totally liberating and for a moment I felt AMAZING!!
BUT, when I finished, I looked at my canvas and felt nothing, no connection, just an empty slow rising feeling of utter disappointment.
Fast forward another 15 years and I have worked my butt off to advance my own art, held 16 successful solo shows, explored a gazillion possibilities, sent my abstracts and other works off to buyers across the world, travelled the globe teaching workshops and retreats, made a ton of mistakes (or happy accidents as I like to call them), taught thousands of students online and honed my skills and passion as an artist and as a teacher whose main desire is to have her students succeed in whatever way is right for them.
Mistakes are important, learning curves are meaningful and we can all benefit from the struggle that is inevitable when we leave the chrysalis to become the butterfly… BUT
It is also awesome and amazing to have mentors and teachers along the way to help you make less mistakes and to help you understand your potential and get to the place where your work matches what’s in your head without so much of the angst.
THAT is my job and I feel so blessed for the opportunity to help you dive into abstraction and take your painting to a whole other level!!
So what will you get with Abstract Mojo?
Line & Color
- Let’s dive into line and color in a series of vibrant and diverse small studies! We’ll expand our color palette and discover the multitudes of possibility for line work; curvy, scribbled, straight, thick, thin, dotted, horizontal, vertical. We’ll keep these mini studies as future reference and later in the course select our favourite as a jumping off point for a colourful abstract landscape.
Embracing the Contrast
- In this lesson we revisit my Embracing the Contrast approach in a playful, energetic abstract! We’ll play with transparency and opacity, shape and line, tone and pattern, composition and color! When we finish the larger piece we’ll divide it up into smaller paintings and play with rotating and translating to see how paintings can play off each other in different combinations and groupings.
All the Feels
- Using word prompts we’ll connect with the energy of color and mark, creating mini paintings from a gut response rather than from our minds, evoking the energy of our emotional responses. We’ll create our phrases using snippets from poems, songs, random text from books and our imagination the paint quickly and loosely in response.
- Take a glimpse inside my own personal process as I share a series that I’m currently working on and give you all some tips on using letters and shapes as compositional tools. In this lesson we’ll use inks and acrylics in a limited palette to create a series of simple yet evocative abstracts.
- Large watercolour pad 18x24”. Cold pressed 300gsm (140lbs)
- 1 30x30” canvas
- 3 6x12” canvases
- Sheet brown craft paper
- Cartridge paper or sketch book paper
- Masking tape, clear packing tape
- Daler Rowney Acrylic artist inks
- Golden fluid acrylics
- Various brushes small to medium
- Several flat smooth square brushes
- Heavy bodied acrylics
- Any kinds of pencils for detail: watercolor, pastel, sketching etc.
- Any and all mark making tools: nature tools, stamps, stencils, sponge etc.
- Charcoal: willow and block
- Bamboo skewer or stick for detailed mark making
- Scraper: eg. old credit card
- Soft brayer
- White and gold gel pen
- Black felt marker
- White oil pastel white (or plain taper candle)
- Other color oil pastels
- Soft pastels for week five (optional)
- Gel pens in various colors (optional)
- White Posca Pen
- Isopropyl alcohol
- Collage: patterned napkins, collage paper, small roll gauze bandage etc.
- Gel medium or matte medium for collage (PVA if you don’t have medium)
- Texture medium
- Masking fluid
- Transparent gesso
- Baby wipes, paper towels
Suggested Golden Fluids:
Titan green pale, green gold, cadmium red, teal, quinachridone magenta, quinacridone burnt orange, titanium white, nickel azo yellow, nickel azo gold, pyrole orange, paynes grey, AND/OR your faves.
Suggested Daler Rowney Inks: